Retro Post: Adventure #6: Most Excellent Sushi
I have sushi cravings almost weekly. Sometimes more. Usually I just moan and complain and then sneak off to Harris Teeter for their Avocado Sushi Snack Pack, which will tide me over for a few days. But every now and then, we go all out. Alimonkee recently introduced me to a recipe for sushi rice, and since all you need other than rice are you favorite anything at all, it’s pretty easy to indulge more than you can possibly imagine.
Alice eats fish; Calin eats steak; I eat veggies. As you can tell, we can all still get along deliciously. And surprisingly, against all odds, marinated steak tips in sushi is amazing.
- 2 cups sushi or white jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Bring water to a boil in a 2 qt saucepan with tightly fitting lid.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Let rice stand 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a wide, shallow glass dish.
- Place vinegar, sugar and salt in a small saucepan.
- Heat slowly until salt and sugar dissolve.
- Lightly toss rice with vinegar/sugar/salt mixture using a wooden or plastic spoon.
- Use for sushi.
I love sushi… We ate every single bite, but mostly that was me.