Retro Post: Adventure #8: Belgian Buttermilk Waffles
Belgian Buttermilk Waffles
Gourmet, June 2005 (Epicurious)
Makes 8 waffles (2 full waffle irons)
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
• 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
• 2 large eggs
• Vegetable oil for waffle iron
1. Put oven rack in middle position and put a large metal cooling rack directly on it.
2. Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
4. Whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs in another bowl.
5. Whisk into flour mixture until just combined.
6. Brush hot waffle iron lightly with vegetable oil and pour a slightly rounded 1/2 cup of batter into each waffle mold.
7. Cook waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions until golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes.
8. Transfer as cooked to rack in oven to keep warm, keeping waffles in 1 layer to stay crisp.
9. Make more waffles in same manner.