The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook: Best Blogiversary Present Ever
Technically this cookbook was my birthday present. But since the publication date was later, and I actually received said cookbook much closer to my blogiversary, from my co-blogging fiend Alimonkee, I’ve decided it was actually meant as a blogiversary present.
Smitten Kitchen has been a favorite blog stand-by since I started reading foodie blogs. I can’t remember whether Alice got me started or I got her started, but either way, we’re both hooked. So giving me the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook as a birthday/blogiversary present could not be more perfect. In fact, when she told me she’d gotten me a present, she said “Guess what it is!” and only had to give me one hint. (As an aside, if you don’t already follow the Smitten Kitchen blog and you like cooking/food/blogs, start now. Seriously. Click that link, or do a google search, and sign up. Or bookmark it. Or whatever. You will not regret it, I promise.)
I’m not going to pull a Julie & Julia here, mostly because I don’t have time. (Although, heavens, certainly not because I don’t want to. There isn’t a recipe in this book that I don’t want to make now now now.) But I do have big plans to make many of these recipes in short order.
Particularly the ones in this section:
Oh my god the Tiny but Intense Chocolate Cake might do me in just looking at the pictures. (I nearly had a heart attack when I realized that I do not have a 6″ springform pan and I could not get one at World Market. Panic panic. But Amazon once again will save the day, and oh god they have a 4″ one too, and where am I going to put all these kitchen gadgets?! Thank goodness for wishlists.)
Here is a short list of the most imminent recipe attempts*:
- Peach and Sour Cream Pancakes
- Gingerbread Spice Dutch Baby
- Whole Wheat Raspberry Ricotta Scones
- Potato Frittata with Feta and Scallions
- Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns (actually on my shopping list for this weekend)
- Roasted Baby Roots with Sherry-Shallot Vinaigrette
- Emmenthaler on Rye with Sweet and Sour Red Onions
- Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette
- Shaved Asparagus Pizza
- Gnocchi in Tomato Broth
- Leek Fritters with Garlic and Lemon
- Sesame-spiced Turkey Meatballs and Smashed Chickpea Salad (also on the shopping list)
- Flat Roasted Chicken with Tiny Potatoes
- Roasted Fingerling and Carrot Coins
- Tomato-glazed Meatloaves with Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Cranberry Crumb Bars with Mulling Spices
- Gooey Cinnamon Squares
- Whole Lemon Bars
- Butterscotch Banana Tarte Tatin
- Chocolate Silk Pie
- Marbled Pumpkin Gingersnap Tart
- Deepest Dish Apple Pie
- Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake
- Tiny but Intense Chocolate Cake
- Rosemary Gruyere and Sea Salt Crisps
- French Onion Toasts
Farther down the line only because Picky Hubby won’t eat these:
- Tomato Scallion Shortcakes with Whipped Goat Cheese
- Wild Mushroom Tart
- Mushroom Bourguignon
Okay, remember how I said “short list”? This is going to be a problem in this cookbook, I can tell already. And no, that’s nowhere near all of the recipes in there. I really, truly did pare down the list.
It’s going to be an amazing baking season.
* I’m adding links to these recipes as I make and post them. Keep an eye out for updates!